The big questions after the signing of Alexandru Mitrita is how exactly are we going to use him and who on earth is going to play striker? The answer to the first question is a whole bunch of different ways and the answer to the second question is probably a whole bunch of different people now that Legia Warsaw has confirmed that striker Carlitos has rejected a move to NYCFC.
Against AIK, Mitrita played striker in the first half in the same 4141 that Dome Torrent showed in the first preseason game and #10 in a 4231 in the second half where the birthday boy scored off a great run set up by Ismael Tajouri-Shradi.
We have also seen Valentin Castellanos, Jesus Medina, and Maxi Moralez all line up at striker. Based on the two preseason games, here are six different formation and lineup possibilities that I posted on twitter thread:
Links, Links, Links
- The Athletic: Kristian Dyer wrote a retrospective on Jack Harrison’s tenure with NYCFC and how his transfer was a watershed moment for MLS.
- ESPN: Jeff Carlisle posted some quotes from Claudio Reyna that included some interesting thoughts on the club’s post-David Villa philosophy, Alexandru Mitrita’s usage, and Jonathan Lewis‘ maturation.
- Pro Soccer USA: Glenn Crooks had a feature on the development of new homegrown signing Justin Haak.
- MLS: Tom Bogert had an interview with Keaton Parks on his role with NYCFC, Benfica, and the USMNT.
- NYCFC: Academy players Nico Benalcazar, Alex Rando, Tayvon Gray, Veljko Petkovic and Dante Polvara reflected on their preseason experience in Abu Dhabi.
- NYCFC: YES Network will carry NYCFC’s last preseason game vs. Nashville SC on Feburary 22nd.
- The Evening Express: NYCFC is still after Aberdeen winger Gary Mackay-Stevens. Despite GMS rejecting a move this window, NYCFC plans to offer a pre-contract and attempt to sign him this summer when he is out of contract.
Tweets & Tubes & Pods, Oh My!
NYCFC Nation had @NYCFCTactics. He did an excellent job. Check it out below:
This Is Our Stadium
Everything Is Content
What could have been…