So there is a super cool new website in the NYCFC series of tubes called The Outfield put together by Dummy Run that I am excited to be apart of. He has put together a great, smart group of writers that hopefully fill some of the void of interesting, original NYCFC content.
Chris and Chris put out a great preview on our incoming new players. My first feature came out on Wednesday on Jesus Medina‘s DP status and other roster rules and oddities that impacted NYCFC’s offseason. Dummy did a great job turning the drivel I call writing into a something that people actually enjoyed reading.
Please give us a follow, because there is some great stuff in the pipeline coming out next week!
The Orlando Preseason Blackout
Neither of our two games in Orlando versus Orlando City or Minnesota were streaming so there is not really a lot to write about. The one constant seems to be the 4141 variant of the 433 seems to be our go-to tactic, with some 4231 on the side. Some hero from Minnesota streamed the second game on his phone. God bless you, sir.
Spring Training Preseason Finale in Nashville
What better way to prep for a season in a baseball stadium then to play your last preseason game in a baseball stadium?
City sported a 4231 against USL and future MLS member Nashville SC with Ebeneezer Ofori and Alexander Ring in the double pivot. While Ofori looked ok next to Ring, his insertion in the starting XI makes you question why a more offensively skilled Keaton Parks did not make an appearance.
Alexandru Mitrita scored a banger, but the combo of Mitrita, Maxi Moralez, and Jonathan Lewis looked a little disjointed at times. Lewis needs more game time at CF if that is the position he is going to play, and hopefully Mitrita and Moralez can adjust to each quickly during the season.
Congratulations if you had middle of the preseason in the Ronald Matarrtta injury pool!
Links, Links, Links
- Pro Soccer USA: Glenn Crooks had a feature on about whatJonathan Lewis needs to do to crack the starting XI. Glenn also had a good write-up after the Nashville game on the status of our attack without Villa.
- The Athletic: Kristian Dyer also had a similar feature on Lewis but with some “interesting” anonymous sources.
- The Athletic: Pablo Mauer had a article on the lack of black coaches in MLS. Former skipper Patrick Vieira was one of the few in MLS history.
- CFG: The mothership has purchased a 3rd division Chinese club in
Chengdu. The business metrics probably were great on this deal as Chengdu is the fifth largest city in China and does not have a club in the Chinese Super League.
- BBC: Mark Lomas had a great profile on Ismael Tajouri-Shradi on his Libyan roots in Switzerland. How did this take a full year for someone to write this?
- NYCFC: The club announced that Jesus Medina, Anton Tinnerholm, and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi all received green cards. This means that the club has four free international spots. My article in The Outfield explains why international spots are so valuable in the TAM era.
- Academy: The U17s qualified for the Champions Bracket of the GA Cup with a 4-0 beat down on the Red Bulls.